Thursday, September 11, 2008

HOMEMADE OTAH

My kids love otah. They use to buy it from some a Malay uncle near my house who is selling it on his mobile stall. It’s not cheap take into consideration of the portion. So, one day I told my kids, “Hey kids. Your mum knows how to do it. Fresher, tastier and most of all……cheaper.”

The best is to use oily fish like mackerel. If you wish to be innovative, you can also try other fish like tuna, sardine, salmon, etc. When you have excess fishes in your fridge and you are tired of frying or steaming, try doing otah with it.

What you need :
Mackerel fish – 200gm (Mince into fish paste)
Corn Flour – 3 tablespoon
Sambal Chilli – 3 tablespoon (if you like it spicy, you can add more)
Oyster Sauce – 1 teaspoon

Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. There after, you can either steam it, bake it or BBQ it.

(A) Steam :
Put all your otah mixture on a plate.
Boil some water in your wok, place a metal stand and place your plate on top.
Cover it and steam for about 10 minutes.

(B) Bake :
Place your otah on greased aluminium foil and wrap it up firmly.
You may pack them in about 10 wraps.
Preheat your oven (not microwave oven of course) 220 degree C
Place all the otah warp into the oven and bake them for 10 minutes

(C) BBQ :
The most authenticable way is to wrap them in banana leaves.
Place the otah mix in the center of banana leaves and faster with
toothpicks at both end.
BBQ them on charcoal for 5 - 10 minutes depends on how strong
the fire is.



(In the above slide show, I Steam the otah. We serve the otah with Chicken Soup Macaroni top with Japanese spices. My sons love potato chips. Thus, I let them have it as a side dish. Funny right. Anyway, they love it.)

Tips :
For busy people like me….Hmm…..actually busy is only an excuse. Lazy is the reason :P
You may consider getting fish paste from supermarket where they sell such paste for making fish balls. As for Sambal chilli, you can also get it off the racks. It comes in many varieties and brands. You can find them in bottles and packets. You can also get it from wet market where there are stall selling pre-mixed spices.

If you wish to mix your own house brand sambal chili, you can make it with onion, turmeric, galangal, chili, balachan, garlic, buah keras and lemon grass. (haha…troublesome isn’t it ?) I skip this. Yeah…

I like to add some surprises in my otah. Sometime, I’ll add some squid, prawn or crab meat. My preference is squid but my kids prefer prawn and crab stick.

If you are not sure whether the otah is cooked, you can use toothpick or satay stick to test by poking it into the otah. If it comes out clean, your otah is done.

It’s very simple and I’m sure, you will do it again and again after your first try.

2 comments:

PEBBLES - the Lord's beloved said...

Hi Tiki, are you able to locate an otah recipe that involves rempah and curry powder?

Verytiki said...

Hmm.....I'll try to come out with one recipe which include rempah and curry powder. How about that ?

XOXO

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs